- Best Ways to Buy Foreign Currency
Check out our flexible options and tips when ordering your foreign currency
- Travelex Money Card: information before you buy
Information good to know before you buy the award winning Travelex Money Card:
- Where can I collect/receive my order
Here are the options to get your foreign currency order:
- CASH only: collect at a Travelex stores or Australia Post* stores
- CARD only: collect at a Travelex stores or get Home Delivered (free shipping)
- Both CASH and CARD: collect at a Travelex stores
*(A $10 fee applies for Australia Post collections)
- How do I place an order online?
To place an order on Travelex.com.au use the Currency section of the home page. Simply select the currency type, the amount you need, the product and click ‘buy now’ to enter into the checkout.
- Can I specify the currency denominations I would like in my order?
Unfortunately you are unable to specify denominations as part of your order. Orders are typically packed as mixed, which means that you will receive a mixture of high and low denominations dependant on the availability of the currency you are ordering.
- When I buy online am I ordering Cash or a Travelex Money Card?
Orders placed on Travelex.com.au are orders for foreign currency cash and/or for a Travelex Money Card. You should check your order carefully before paying. To purchase a Travelex Money Card online, use the "Travelex Money Card" section of this website.
- How long can I place an order in advance of collection?
Payment method for Cash Online Orders^
Airport pick up
Non-airport pick up
Visa or MasterCard debit/credit card
Order may be made 1 Business Day* – 21 Store Business Days** in advance of the collection date
Orders may be made 3 Business days – 21 Store Business Days in advance of the collection date.
Orders may be made 2 Business Days – 21 Store Business days in advance of the collection date
Orders may be made 4 Business Days – 21 Store Business Days in advance of the collection date.
Orders may be made 3 Business Days – 21 Store Business days in advance of the collection date
Orders may be made 5 Business Days – 21 Store Business Days in advance of the collection date.
^Times are subject to change without notice.
- How much foreign currency can I purchase or how much can I load on a Travelex Money Card?
You can order between $350 and $5,000.
Orders containing Cash for store pick up have a minimum order value of $350.
New Travelex Money Card or a combination of cash and card are subject to a minimum basket value of AU$350.
Travelex Money Card reloads are subject to a minimum basket value of AU$50.
All orders have a maximum aggregate value of AU$5,000 per order and a maximum aggregate value of AU$20,000 over a rolling 21 day period.
You can top-up between $50 and $5,000.
All orders have a maximum aggregate value of AU$10,050 per order and a maximum aggregate value of AU$20,000 over a rolling 21 day period.
See the full details for minimum amounts here.
- What form of ID is required when collecting an order?
When collecting an order from a store, you will be asked to preset the form of identification (original only) that you entered at time of purchase:
- current Passport
- current Australian Driver’s Licence (digital formats are acceptable in NSW and SA only).
- Why won’t my order process?
There could be an issue with your payment card or the details that you have entered when placing your order. You may want to call your card issuer to see if there is a problem with your transaction. Alternatively you can try placing your order again using a different payment card or visit a Travelex store to make your purchase.
- My order was not processed but funds have been taken out of my bank account?
When attempting an order online, your bank may reserve the funds required to complete the transaction. These funds may remain reserved for a number of days even if your order is not processed. You will need to speak to your bank to ask them to make the funds available to you or wait for them to be released by your bank.
- What does “Order Not Processed” mean?
Order Not Processed means that we have been unable to process your order online. There could be an issue with your card or the details that you have entered when placing your order. You may want to call your card issuer to see if there is a problem with your transaction. Alternatively you can try placing your order again using a different payment card or visit a Travelex bureau to make your purchase.
- What does “Order confirmation” mean?
This means that we have received your order
- Which payment methods can I use online?
You can purchase your currency online 24/7 using PayID® (fee free instant* payment), Visa® and Mastercard® Debit and Credit cards, or BPAY® (For BPAY Mobile & Internet Banking. Make this payment from your cheque, savings or debit card account.)
*Note: First time payments to a new payee may be held up for up to 24 hours as a security measure with some banks (CBA). Please check with your bank.
- What is PayID and what banks support it?
is a fast payment using the NPP (New Payments Platform).
Here is list of banks supporting PayID and instructions on how to make a payment with PayID.
- How to pay with PayID?
After completing your order online:
1. From your internet banking account or App, select (also known as 'Pay', 'Pay Now', ‘Pay anyone’, 'Mobile/PayID')
2. Select email and enter email@example.com
3. Enter the amount to pay (see ‘OrderTotal’ in the order summary section of your 'PayID Payments Instruction' email).
4. Enter your full order number in the Description field (e.g.: AU123456789)
- Failure to follow these instructions may result in your order being rejected.
- Note that some banks have a daily amount limit for PayID transactions.
Please check your allowance with your bank.
- First time payments to a new payee may be held up for up to 24 hours as a security measure with some banks. Please check with your bank.
- How to pay with BPay?
After completing your order online:
1. From your internet banking account or App, select
2. Select Biller Code: 454884
3. Enter the amount to pay (see ‘OrderTotal’ in the order summary section of your 'BPay Payments Instruction' email).
4. Enter your number in the Reference field (e.g.: 123456789, without the 'AU')
Failure to follow these instructions may result in your order being rejected.
- If I made my BPAY® payment after banking hours and payment was not immediate, will my order be cancelled?
We strongly encourage you to make your BPAY payment within 12 hours from the time you place your order to ensure that the payment is received as soon as possible, and that your order is processed in time for your nominated pick-up date. Our system is designed to allow for possible delays in receiving payments when orders are made after banking hours. However, we do reserve the right to cancel your order if payment is not received within 12 hours of the time your order is placed.
- Can I use a foreign-issued credit or debit card when placing my order?
You can make a payment with Visa Debit, Visa Credit, Mastercard Debit and Mastercard Credit cards.
A surcharge applies as follows:
Card Type Debit/Credit Surcharge MasterCard Debit 0.77% MasterCard Credit 0.94% Visa Debit 0.72% Visa Credit 1.00%
Your card issuer may also charge you international transaction fee if you are using foreign issued card in Australia. Please contact your card issuer to confirm if cash advance fee or international transaction fee is applicable to your transaction.
- Can I change the pick up date of my order?
You may change your collection date provided that you contact us at least 4 Business Days prior to your nominated collection date. The new collection date must fall within the original collection dates highlighted when you made your order.
- Can I cancel my order?
Online Foreign Currency orders: You may not reverse or “cancel” an order for Online Foreign Currency once you have made payment for your order. If you wish to reverse the transaction, you will need to attend a Travelex store to sell your Online Foreign Currency to Travelex on such terms as both parties agree.
Online Cash Passport orders: You may cancel an Online Cash Passport initial purchase at any time prior to collection. To cancel an Online Cash Passport order, contact our Customer Service Centre on 1800 440 039 orTravelMoneyOnline@travelex.com.au. You will need to provide your details and order reference number.
Reload of Cash Passport: You cannot cancel online reloads of Cash Passport cards.
- If I cancel my Cash Passport order for which I have already paid, when do I receive my refund?
It may take up to 10 Business Days after we receive your cancellation request for the refund to reach your bank account. Due to security reasons and to protect you from fraud, your refund will only be sent to the bank account or credit/debit card from which the payment originated.
- Travelex Money Card Top-Up Tips
- Top-up via the Travelex website
Note that you must use your unique reference number when paying or the transfer may be delayed.
- Top-up via the Travelex Money App
Note that you must use your unique reference number when paying or the transfer may be delayed.
- Top-up in a Travelex store
- Direct top-up via BPAY:
Top-ups not made via travelex.com.au or the Travelex Money App incur a fee of 1% of the amount.
You must make payment using your own account.
MasterCard Biller Code: 184416
Reference No: your 16 digit Travelex Money Card number
Funds will be allocated to your default currency. To check your default currency login to your account.
Top ups will generally take two business days to be processed however may take longer if the payment is not made before 2pm on a business day Australian Eastern Standard Time.
- Travelex Money Card FAQ
Click here to read the Travelex Money Card FAQ
- Travelex Money App Management
Click here for FAQ on the Travelex Money App management
- Who do I contact if I have a query?
Please note these offerings are not Travelex or Kayak products and services, as a customer you are purchasing from the provider you have selected via Kayak. Any customer support, queries, refunds or complaints with relation to products or services purchased must be directed to your chosen provider, and not to Travelex or Kayak.
- Instarem. NIUM. Why do I see these names in emails or bank statement for Travelex International Money Transfer transactions?
Travelex International Money Transfer is provided by NIUM. NIUM also trades as Instarem.
If you receive and email from NIUM or Instarem for a Travelex International Money Transfer transaction, this is normal. If you are still unsure about the message your receive, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I have an OFX account via Travelex. Can I still access my account?
Yes. You can still access your OFX account by logging onto the OFX website: www.ofx.com.
- More International Money Transfer FAQ
- How do I earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points?
Unfortunately you will not earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points when ordering online at Travelex.com.au.
We may from time to time conduct special promotions where we offer Qantas Frequent Flyer Points in which case the earning and redeeming of any Qantas Frequent Flyer points will be subject to the terms and conditions of the relevant promotion. Qantas Frequent Flyer Points may be earned on certain foreign currency transactions in-store at Travelex or via the Qantas website . For more details, please visit a Travelex store or the Qantas website. Qantas Frequent Flyer Points are not available on the purchase or reload of cash passport cards. Terms and conditions apply.
- How do I cash Travellers Cheques?
Simply present your Travellers Cheque to the acceptor or bank where you wish to cash it. Make sure the acceptor watches while you countersign the Travellers Cheque in the lower left-hand corner. You can also exchange your Travellers Cheques for local currency at any Travelex store
- Where can I use Travellers Cheques?American Express® Travellers Cheques are recognised around the world and can be used like cash in many locations, or exchanged for local currency at any Travelex store.
- Where do I sign Travellers Cheques?Travellers Cheques must be signed in the upper left-hand corner on purchase in order to be reimbursable if lost or stolen. When the Travellers Cheques are cashed, make sure the acceptor watches while you countersign the Travellers Cheque in the lower left-hand corner.
- What happens if I sign the Travellers Cheque in the wrong place, or my signatures don’t match?Acceptance of Travellers Cheques is based on the acceptor watching the customer sign the Travellers Cheque in the lower left-hand corner, then comparing that signature with the original in the upper left-hand corner. If the signatures are a reasonable match, the Travellers Cheque should be accepted. As always, if the acceptor is unsure, they should call an American Express Travellers Cheque Customer Service Centre.
- When do I fill out the date on my Travellers Cheque?The date should be filled out upon use, in the upper right-hand corner, just like a personal cheque.
- Is there a fee to cash Travellers Cheques?Some operators charge a fee when you use Travellers Cheques to pay for goods and services at shops, restaurants, and hotels. Travelex stores and some banks may also charge a fee.
- If I don’t use the full face value of the Travellers Cheque, will I get change back?Yes, you will get change back, just like cash.
- What happens if my Travellers Cheques are lost or stolen?
If your Travellers Cheques are lost or stolen, contact an American Express® Travellers Cheque Customer Service Centre immediately. They will provide you with step-by-step instructions for replacing your Travellers Cheques. To find a Customer Service Centre, visit www.americanexpress.com/uk/tc/custservice.shtml.
Remember to keep a record of all Travellers Cheque serial numbers in a safe location separate from your Travellers Cheques.
- Where can I get my Travellers Cheques reimbursed?
If your Travellers Cheques are lost or stolen, you will need to contact an American Express® Travellers Cheque Customer Service Centre immediately. They will assist you with step-by-step instructions for replacing your Cheques.
- How do I contact American Express Travellers Cheques Customer Service Centre?For your convenience, American Express® Travellers Cheques Customer Service centres are available around the world. For a complete listing, visit www.americanexpress.com/uk/tc/custservice.shtml