Exchange your GBP for AUD with us!
We have 180+ stores across Australia that will buy your leftover GBP bank notes in Australia, with the exception of old or damaged notes. Have any other leftover foreign currency notes? We buy 50+ FX currencies – even rare ones such as Icelandic krona and Bermuda dollars!
You can also use our foreign currency ATMs to conveniently withdraw Australian dollars and selected foreign currencies at great rates if you are travelling in Australia and short on cash!
How to Exchange Your GBP to AUD?
You can withdraw GBP from all our foreign currency ATMs around Australia. Some ATMs also offer card withdrawals of selected foreign currencies in addition to AUD at great rates!
How to Sell Foreign Currency to Travelex
Simply follow the steps below to exchange your GBP to AUD with Travelex:
- Take your foreign currency banknotes into any of our 180+ Travelex stores across Australia.
- Our friendly staff will inform you of the buy rate for the GBP (the rate which we will buy your foreign currency at).
- Exchange your GBP banknotes to Australian dollars and leave with a little more AUD in your wallet!
What is your GBP Buy Rate?
This changes daily due to fluctuating exchange rates, and differs at each Travelex store & ATM. Please contact your nearest Travelex store for the current GBP buy rate or find your nearest ATM to exchange your foreign currency for AUD.
Do you Buy GBP Coins?
No, unfortunately we do not accept any foreign coins; however, there are plenty of things you can do with your leftover GBP coins!
- Give them to charity - UNICEF’s Coins for Kids is a charity that collects leftover FX coins. The funds then go towards a number of great initiatives such as providing clean drinking water, much-needed vaccines, food, school books and stationary. Click here to find out more. Many airlines and airports also have collection boxes or envelopes where you can donate your coins to charity.
- Save them for another trip - if you think you (or friends or family!) may be visiting a destination where they can use US coins, save them for your next trip.
- Keep them as mementos from your trip – it’s a fun way of remembering all the destinations you’ve visited!
GBP to AUD Historical Exchange Rate
The AUD/GBP exchange rate has had two main fluctuation periods over the last 10 years; between 2009-2013 and 2014-2017.1
The AUD high was stronger against the GBP on 23 March 2013 - buying 0.68572 Great British pounds; and weaker on 9 September 2015, buying 0.45693 GBP.1
Looking back to 7 April 2009 it was a different story; 1 AUD was worth around 0.48 GBP, before strengthening on 3 May 2010 to around 0.60 GBP per AUD.1
By 20 February 2012 1 AUD was buying around 0.68 Great British pounds, however approximately 2 years later on 25 January 2014 the AUD was now worth only 0.52678 GBP.1
The AUD weakened even further over the following year and by 3 September 2015 1 AUD was only worth around 0.46 GBP.1
Stabilising somewhat over the following year, the AUD was converting to 0.62208 GBP by 22 October 2016.1
On 27 March 2018 the AUD was buying around 0.54 GBP and as of 21 March 2019 the AUD was worth around 0.53 GBP.1
1. XE - https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=GBP&view=10Y
ATMs at Special Rates
A convenient, fast and simple way to withdraw EUR, GBP, NZD and USD 24/7.
Get great RATES from our 'special' ATMs.Find your nearest ATM
*The information contained in this article has been compiled by Travelex from different external sources. The figures provided are indicative only and are there to provide an idea of the amount of travel money you may need during your trip. Travelex does not ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information shown. Nothing in this article is to be considered financial advice. Travelex Limited does not accept any liability for any loss or damage derived from any reliance on the information in this article. Travelex Limited (ABN 36 004 179 953, AFSL Number 222444) arranges for and sells Online Foreign Currency via its Online Ordering Facility. You should consider the Online Foreign Currency Product Disclosure Statement and Terms and Conditions before deciding whether to acquire the product.