Exchange your JPY for AUD with us!
We have 180+ stores across Australia that will buy your leftover JPY bank notes in Australia, with the exception of old or damaged notes. Have any other leftover foreign currency notes? We buy 50+ FX currencies – even rare ones such as Icelandic krona and Bermuda dollars!
You can also use our foreign currency ATMs to conveniently withdraw Australian dollars and selected foreign currencies at great rates if you are travelling in Australia and short on cash!
How to Exchange Your JPY to AUD?
You can withdraw AUD from all our foreign currency ATMs around Australia. Some ATMs also offer card withdrawals of selected foreign currencies in addition to AUD at great rates!
How to Sell Foreign Currency to Travelex
Simply follow the steps below to exchange your JPY to AUD with Travelex:
- Take your foreign currency banknotes into any of our 180+ Travelex stores across Australia.
- Our friendly staff will inform you of the buy rate for the JPY (the rate which we will buy your foreign currency at).
- Exchange your JPY banknotes to Australian dollars and leave with a little more AUD in your wallet!
What is your JPY Buy Rate?
This changes daily due to fluctuating exchange rates, and differs at each Travelex store & ATM. Please contact your nearest Travelex store for the current JPY buy rate or find your nearest ATM to exchange your foreign currency for AUD.
Do you Buy JPY Coins?
No, unfortunately we do not accept any foreign coins; however, there are plenty of things you can do with your leftover JPY coins!
- Give them to charity - UNICEF’s Coins for Kids is a charity that collects leftover FX coins. The funds then go towards a number of great initiatives such as providing clean drinking water, much-needed vaccines, food, school books and stationary. Click here to find out more. Many airlines and airports also have collection boxes or envelopes where you can donate your coins to charity.
- Save them for another trip - if you think you (or friends or family!) may be visiting a destination where they can use US coins, save them for your next trip.
- Keep them as mementos from your trip – it’s a fun way of remembering all the destinations you’ve visited!
JPY to AUD Historical Exchange Rate
When comparing the AUD to the JPY over the last 10-year period there has been considerable fluctuation, particularly between the 2012 and 2016 period. (1)
Since 2016 the JPY/AUD exchange rate has remained relatively stable with an AUD high of 89.54610 JPY on 25 September 2017 and an AUD low of 77.73704 JPY on 31 December 2018.1
Looking back to 26 March 2009, the AUD was valued considerably lower against the yen, buying around 68.26 JPY per AUD.1
Roughly two years later on 12 April 2011 the Australian dollar had strengthened against the yen, and was now buying around 88.55 JPY per AUD.1
The JPY gained on the AUD over the coming years, with 1 Australian dollar converting to 93.53605 JPY on 18 October 2014 and 76.02939 JPY on 7 July 2016.1
Over the last few years the exchange rate between the two currencies has stabilised with the AUD buying 89.54610 JPY on 25 September 2018, 79.73695 on 15 October 2018 and 79.26186 on 21 March 2019.1
1. XE - https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=JPY&view=10Y
*The information contained in this article has been compiled by Travelex from different external sources. The figures provided are indicative only and are there to provide an idea of the amount of travel money you may need during your trip. Travelex does not ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information shown. Nothing in this article is to be considered financial advice. Travelex Limited does not accept any liability for any loss or damage derived from any reliance on the information in this article. Travelex Limited (ABN 36 004 179 953, AFSL Number 222444) arranges for and sells Online Foreign Currency via its Online Ordering Facility. You should consider the Online Foreign Currency Product Disclosure Statement and Terms and Conditions before deciding whether to acquire the product.