School holidays are a great chance to catch up on some much needed family time, but they can also get expensive! If you’re looking to book a holiday with the family over the school holiday period but don’t want to break the bank, we’ve put together a list of our top 6 budget-friendly school holiday destinations for 2019.
Budget-Friendly School Holiday Destinations for 2019
Known for its food, friendly locals, and stunning natural scenery, Vietnam is the ultimate budget-friendly family holiday destination. Year-round warm weather and commonly-affordable destination to fly to make it a great school holiday destination.
From calm clear beaches, to lush rice fields and misty mountain retreats, Vietnam has something for the whole family to enjoy, and at a fraction of the price of other popular destinations. Want to learn more about Vietnam? Check out our Vietnam Travel Guide.
Top Family-Friendly Activities in Vietnam:
- Sleep on a boat in the majestic Halong Bay
- Lounge on the beach on the tropical island of Phu Quoc
- Discover the Chu Chi Tunnels on a day trip from Ho Chi Minh City
- Learn about Hmong culture and meet the locals in Sa Pa
- Explore the UNESCO world heritage town of Hoi An and its lanterns
Need Vietnamese dong for your upcoming family holiday?
Boasting some of the best beaches in Asia, this well-known tourist destination makes for an affordable family getaway. English is widely spoken, with service and accommodation options offering amazing value for money.
Get up close and personal with elephants in Chiang Mai, or spend your day’s snorkeling at one of the many family-friendly islands the country has to offer. Get the kids moving by learning traditional Thai dances in Bangkok and immerse yourself in Thai culture. Discover more about the land of smiles with our Thailand Travel Guide.
Top Family-Friendly Activities in Thailand:
- Volunteer at an elephant sanctuary in Chiang Mai
- Take the kids to Splash Jungle in Phuket
- Explore the night markets and snorkel in Krabi
- Watch traditional Thai dancing at the Bangkok Culture Centre in Bangkok
Need Thai baht for your upcoming family holiday?
Known for its safety, immaculately clean streets, hawker food, and great shopping, Singapore serves up everything you need for an unforgettable family holiday. With prices similar to those in Australia and cheap and efficient public transport, a holiday in Singapore may be higher than some other Asian destinations, but still won’t cost an arm and a leg.
Singapore offers a plethora of museums, gardens, and public attractions to keep the kids busy.
Top Family-Friendly Activities in Singapore:
- Get your adrenaline pumping at Universal Studios on Sentosa Island
- Take a ride on a traditional Bumboat down the Singapore River
- Have breakfast with the orangutans at Singapore Zoo
- Learn about Singapore’s past, present, and future at the interactive museum in the Singapore Discovery Centre
Need Singapore dollars for your upcoming family holiday?
4# Sri Lanka
The small island of Sri Lanka is located southeast of India, and has become a popular family- friendly holiday destination. Despite its small size, Sri Lanka delivers on beaches, culture, wildlife, and adventure.
Teach your children the importance of wildlife conservation, make the most of the crystal clear beaches, and explore nature on this picturesque island. What’s more, many beaches have lifeguards and there are plenty of non-spicy western food options for picky eaters! Check out our Sri Lanka Travel Guide for more info on this increasingly-popular travel destination.
Top Family-Friendly Activities in Sri Lanka:
- Release baby turtles into the ocean at a turtle hatchery
- Go boogie boarding at Unawatuna beach
- Visit orphaned or injured elephants at the Elephant Transit Home in Uda Walawe
- Watch the passing scenery on a Hill Country Train Ride
Need Sri Lanka rupee for your upcoming family holiday?
5# New Caledonia
Closer to Australia than Fiji or Vanuatu, New Caledonia is often overlooked as a family-friendly holiday for those on a budget. In fact, this island has plenty of options for families on a budget. There’s a range of accommodation including camping, as well as fun activities for kids that extend beyond the beach.
Offering a tropical holiday close to home - with a twist of French influence - New Caledonia is the perfect place to discover remote islands, coral reefs, and friendly locals.
Top Family Friendly Activities in New Caledonia:
- Learn to play Pentanque (traditional lawn bowls) with the locals
- Discover Noumea by taking a ride on the family-friendly Tchou Tchou train
- Stay in a local homestay on the remote Loyalty Islands (don’t worry - there’s hot water!)
- Take a glass bottom boat tour in Bourail and get up close and personal with sea life
Need CFP franc for your upcoming family holiday to New Caledonia?
6# United States (Texas)
If you’re open to travelling a little further - and possibly spending a little more - on the more expensive end of our budget-friendly family holiday picks is the American state of Texas. For those willing to travel 15+ hours, Texas offers a unique family experience and a chance to have a quintessential taste of the American South.
Home to the Houston Space Centre, cowboy ranches, and some of the best live music in the country, Texas makes for a unique, activity-filled family holiday. What’s more, Texas is comparatively cheaper than other American holiday destinations, like California.
Top Family Friendly Activities in Texas:
- Meet an astronaut at the Houston Space Centre
- Become a cowboy for a day at the Fort Worth Stockyards
- Head to the beach in Corpus Cristi
- Watch thousands of bats in Austin as they emerge at dusk (it’s free!)
Need US dollars for your upcoming family holiday to Texas?
This information is compiled from external sources and is offered as a guide only. It is recommended you check smarttraveller.gov.au before deciding whether to travel to a destination.