The Low Down on the Euro Currency
European Central Bank
|Currency sub unit:||
|Countries using euros:||
€5, €10, €20, €50, €100, €200, €500
1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, €1, €2
The euro is commonly represented by its currency code (EUR) and in its symbol form (€). You will need to have euros on hand if you are traveling to one of the many countries in Europe which use the euro as legal tender.
In total, there are 19 EU member countries who have adopted the Euro as their official currency.
The most commonly used notes in euros are the €5, €10, €20, €50, and €100 bills. There are also €200 and €500 notes but these are not as often because of their high value.
AUD to EUR conversion examples:
Entry to Eiffel Tower
3-mile taxi ride
Postcard and a stamp
French beret (but don't)
Must-sees in Europe
Buying euros online is easy
Order euros online, lock in the rate and collect at your local store, at the airport before you fly or have it delivered at home
- 1. Click the ‘Buy Euros Now’ button below
And tell us how much you need for your trip.
- 2. Choose how to get it
Get your currency home-delivered or choose to collect at more than 3,600 pick up locations.
- 3. Pay online
You can pay online using either BPAY, Visa or MasterCard®
Payment Options in Europe
Payment options in Europe can vary greatly depending on which country you visit. In general, credit cards and travel cards are widely accepted, however having cash on hand may also be required.
Cash is accepted as a universal payment in Europe, making it highly flexible and convenient. Ensuring you have some euros on you is recommended, as many small stores set minimum payments for cards. What’s more, things like tipping and public transport costs are mostly cash. When travelling Europe, make sure you avoid pickpockets by using a travel wallet, and taking just the cash you need with you out for the day.
Why foreign cash?
- Cash (both euro and otherwise) is flexible and is accepted in every country in Europe.
- Cash is more commonly used in the countryside and smaller stores in some European countries. It is recommended that you have some local currency prepared so you don’t miss out on any cash-only experiences like bus fares taxis, and local guides.
- Tipping is common in Europe, and is not often included as part of the bill.
Things to consider:
- It may be harder to keep track of your spending with cash, making budgeting difficult. Carrying large amounts of cash may be unsafe in Europe, especially in touristy areas where there is a higher crime rate.
- It may be harder to keep track of your spending with cash, making budgeting difficult.
Prepaid travel cards are great value, as you are able to lock in an exchange rate at the time of purchase. You can also load multiple currencies, which is handy if you plan on country-hopping in Europe.
Why prepaid travel card?
- Prepaid travel cards allow you to load multiple currencies. This may be convenient when travelling Europe, as not every country uses the euro.
- Prepaid travel cards provide you with some security when travelling, as they are easy to replace if lost or stolen. You can also order two when purchasing, so you have a backup card with you.
- Lock in your exchange rate at your time of purchase to avoid any hidden costs.*
Things to consider:
- There may be local ATM fees when taking cash out of your prepaid travel card.
- If you run out of cash on your card, it may take a few days for any additional money you top up with to appear on your card.
Discover how you can explore Europe with ease with our 5* award-winning Travelex Money Card!
Debit or credit cards are widely accepted throughout Europe, but transaction fees when paying by card can be quite high. You may also be required to make a minimum spend before paying by card in some stores. As such, it’s always good to have some cash handy, and to keep your bank cards as a backup in addition to local cash when travelling.
Why debit or credit card?
- Cards are generally widely accepted in Europe, with Visa and Mastercard being the most popular.
- You can use for hotel and other deposits without affecting your holiday spending allocation.
Things to consider:
- Higher commissions paid by merchants to credit card companies mean that smaller businesses prefer cash payments.
- There may be minimum amounts required to spend on cards in stores.
- Transaction fees for paying with bank cards can be high in Europe. These can be anywhere from 2-5% of your purchase.
ATMs are readily found in most countries in Europe. They provide a convenient way of withdrawing local currency as you need it. Foreign card withdrawal fees can be quite high in Europe. Additionally, if you plan on going off-the-beaten-path ATMs may become less common, so taking some cash is essential.
Why withdraw cash in Europe?
- In most countries in Europe ATMS are easily found, especially in the bigger cities but also in smaller towns.
- Withdrawing cash as you need it means you may not have to carry large amounts of cash with you.
Things to consider:
- There may be ATM conversion fees associated with withdrawing cash from a foreign card.
- Taking out smaller amounts will inflate the cost of fees. So at times, you may be forced to take out a larger amount than planned.
FX ATMs provide an easy-to-use, hassle-free way of exchanging money at Australian airports before you fly. They operate 24 hours a day on a self-serve basis. Keep in mind that not all FX ATMs will offer every currency available.
Why use Travelex ATMs in Australia?
- FX ATMs are a convenient way to exchange cash at an airport before leaving. There are no forms to fill in, and it’s self-serve. Visit our foreign currency ATM page to find a Travelex FX ATM that dispenses euro.
- FX ATMs are 24 hours, meaning you have the flexibility to purchase euro no matter what time of the day you fly.
- Foreign currency ATMs are fast and efficient, giving you your foreign currency within a few minutes.
Things to consider:
- Not all FX ATMs will dispense the currency you need.
- It is not recommended to carry a large amount of cash on you throughout Europe.
Read your reviews on trustpilot
great to deal with
great to deal with. found out that you have to use the country of your travelex card to do any transaction on.raymond f atkinson
Bought online fast efficient pick up
Bought online fast efficient pick upMandi Jane Peter
Online ordering and payment were quick…
Online ordering and payment were quick and easy, I used the bpay function to avoid the credit card surcharge. Collection was also fast and easy. Great experience, will use Travelex again.Prue Shepherd
Very easy online process👍🏻
Very easy online process, great serviceMaria Teresa
A very easy process
A very easy process. Easy online ordering and pickup at my local post office. Very efficient process.Jenny Taylor
Preparing for trip
On phoning office, my requests were quickly and satisfyingly answered. The gentleman could not have been more helpful. Using the internet to convert and upload money was easy and comvenient.Rose
Good rates and service
Good rates and serviceBrian Norbury
Convenient location, easy walk from mall. Prompt service collecting the order.Chris
Quick service with no issues from start…
Quick service with no issues from start to end.Matt
No fuss straightforward process
No fuss straightforward process. Rates are competitive. Great flexible service. Plenty of reminders about process as you move through an Order to completion.Steve
A good exchange rate and so far a…
A good exchange rate and so far a secure systemKeith K
Booked two different currencies online
Booked two different currencies online; was simple process. Order was ready on requested day. Frontdesk person v.pleasant/ helpful, was able to change some notes for smaller denominations.Michele Power
Only one person on the desk when I went…
Only one person on the desk when I went to collect currency. Took a long time to get to the head of the queue. Then things went smoothly.William Hooker
Fast and efficient and person very…
Fast and efficient and person very pleasantAngeline Brenda Vogel
Easy on Line
Ordered my currency on line pick my pick up date then picked it up no fuss what so ever easiest thing I've every done. PLUS better rate on line. Congratulations TravelexJanice Bouckley
*Rates are subject to change throughout the day. In-store rates vary compared to online.
**The figures provided are indicative only and are there to provide an idea of the amount of travel money you may need during your trip.
^^Based on mid-market and Travelex Online AUD to FX exchange rates as of the date of the relevant social media post and/or email communication. Rates are subject to change throughout the day. Any rates and savings are quoted as a guide only.
Travelex Limited (ABN 36 004 179 953, AFSL Number 222444) arranges for and sells Online Foreign Currency via its Online Ordering Facility. You should consider the Online Foreign Currency Product Disclosure Statement and Terms and Conditions before deciding whether to acquire the product.